Bethany Lutheran College
Programs and Degrees Offered
Bethany Lutheran College, founded in 1927, is a private, residential, liberal arts college offering a challenging, student-centered approach to education that fosters spiritual development, intellectual and creative growth, self-understanding and responsible citizenship. When you enroll at Bethany Lutheran College, your education will be strengthened and shaped by experiences you'll only find at a small college. Our close campus community allows you to form lasting connections with outstanding professors and lifelong friendships with fellow students. At Bethany, your education extends beyond the world of academics. You will receive an education rooted deeply in Christian values with a strong focus on spiritual growth and development.
Bethany Lutheran College at a glance
- Undergraduate: 587
- Domestic students: 92% White, 3% Hispanic, 3% Black, 1% multiracial, <1% Asian, <1% American Indian/Alaska Native, <1% Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, excludes race/ethnicity unknown
- International students are 3% of total enrollment
- Student/faculty ratio: 9:1
- Average class size: 13
- Number undergraduate majors: 20
First-year student profile
- Average ACT score: 23; 93% of first-year students presented the ACT as part of their applications.
- Average SAT score: 2% of first-year students submitted the SAT as part of their applications.
- High school GPA: 3.39
- Percentage from Minnesota: 78%
- Percentage who live on campus: 93%
- 2017-18 undergraduate tuition and fees: $26,960
- Room and board: $8,100
- Percentage first-time undergraduates receiving financial-aid: 99%
Evangelical Lutheran Synod
Use LinkedIn’s alumni tool* to explore what Bethany Lutheran graduates majored in and the types of careers they have and with which companies.
*based only on those who have accounts on LinkedIn
Bachelor of Arts
5 largest majors:
- Business Administration
- Elementary Education
- Exercise Science
- Digital Arts
Average class size
41 full time, 31 part time; 54% of full-time faculty members hold the doctorate or highest degree in their field
- Physical therapy
- Veterinary medicine
Teaching licensure programs
- K-8 Minnesota licensure with 5-8 specialties in Math, Social Studies, Science, Communication Arts and Literature
- Secondary education licensure in the areas of Communication Arts and Literature (5-12), Social Studies (5-12) and Visual Arts (K-12)
Study abroad programs
Bethany Lutheran College students enhance their collegiate experience through the study abroad program. In recent years, students have studied in Australia, Austria, England, Greece, Spain, Italy, China and Ecuador. With assistance from the study abroad office, students enjoy the flexibility of Bethany's program because the college doesn't limit their options of international destinations.
Part-time and full-time internships that are closely related to the student's specific career path are required for some majors. Internship opportunities are coordinated through academic advisors.
Accreditation & approval
- The Higher Learning Commission
- North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
Online application: www.blc.edu/apply
Admissions tests required: ACT or SAT. ACT writing component is recommended but not required.
Application deadlines: Jul. 1 for fall enrollment; Dec. 1 for spring enrollment
Application fee: None
Earning college credit in high school:
View a summary table of what is recognized and accepted as well as how many of those credits can be applied toward your degree.
Transfer criteria (credits, GPA)
Bethany requires a 2.0 cumulative GPA for transfer students.
Transfer process (deadlines and materials)
Students must submit an application and transcripts from previous colleges. Jul. 1 deadline for fall enrollment; Dec. 1 deadline for spring enrollment.
2017-18 undergraduate tuition and fees: $26,960
Room and board: $8,100
Net price calculator: www.blc.edu/financial-aid
Percentage of first-time undergraduates receiving financial aid from any source: 99%
Financial aid application deadline: Apr. 15
Financial aid information
Bethany offers a number of merit-based scholarships, as well as activity scholarships. Deadline to apply for activity scholarships is January 31. Priority deadline to apply for financial aid is April 15. More info at https://www.blc.edu/financial-aid
FAFSA Code: 002337
Leadership and service organizations including:
- Student Senate
- World Club
- Paul Ylvisaker Center
- Scholastic Leadership Society
- Student Leadership Institute
- Multi-Ethnic Center
- Lambda Pi Eta
- Pi Kappa Delta
- Channel 3 News Team
- Charter "Main Street" Television Broadcasts
- Academic clubs
- NCAA Division III
- Upper Midwest Athletic Conference (UMAC)
- Track and field
- Track and field
- Flag football
- Volleyball (sand and indoor)
Fine arts offerings
- Yearbook (Fidelis)
- Newspaper (Scroll)
- Literary magazine
- Speech and debate